DIRECTORATE OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, EXTENSION, GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT CD,E,GAD)
Why Community Participation
- 60% of Forests of KP are privately owned (Guzara) or encumbered with local rights (Protected of Malakand)
- Rangelands that constitute about 30% of area of KP are privately owned and need management.
- Watersheds of Tarbella and Mangla need treatment.
- Guzara Forests are harvested by JFMCs of owners and in Protected Forests concessionists oversee harvesting.
- Poor segment of community is highly dependent for their livelihoods on commons and Forests.
- Forest Department needs attitudinal change and its staff capacity building to invoke participatory sustainable management in our Forests.
- FD intends to mainstream role of gender in Forestry sector.
- “Billion Tree Tsunami” project needs more hands and transparency.
Provision in policy and Law
- Policy calls for sustainable management and development of forests of the province to foster the economic, social and ecological well-being of the people residing around the forests, the people of KP and of Pakistan.
- The cardinal Principles of Forest policy includes Participationof the people, devolution of authority and responsibility and public awareness for invoking integrated sustainable NRM.
- The forest ordinance 2002 under sections 28, 37(4), 38, 101, 102 and 103 calls for community participation and mainstreaming role of women in NRM.
Under its reform process the Directorate of Community development, Extension, Gender and Development is established was established in 2001.
Function of CDEGAD.
- Mobilization and organization of Male and Female Communities.
- Preparation of gross root participatory plans like Village and Joint Forest Management Plans.
Provision of specialized inputs for social Assessment and Community based implementation of NRM activities
- Designing, planning and implementation of NRM based extension interventions.
- Setting up publicity, awareness and capacity building drives.
GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT
- Mainstreaming role of Gender in NRM sector.
MONITORING & DOCUMENTATION
- Monitoring and documentation of experience and best NRM practices