According to the Government of KP, Establishment and Administration Department (Regulation Wing) Notification No. SO(O&M)E&AD/2-7/2012-Vol-IV dated 15-09-2014, read with the Provincial Government Rules of Business 1985 assign, inter alia following functions to Forestry, Environment and Wildlife Department/ Forest Department.: -
- Administration and Enforcement of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Forest Ordinance 2002.
- Forest Settlement and Demarcation.
- Nurseries, Afforestation and Re-afforestation.
- Sustainable Management of Forest including marking of trees, range land and promotion of urban and farm forestry.
- Regulation of wood based industries including sawing units.
- Harvesting of timber and other forest produce and its marketing.
- Integrated watershed management and soil conservation.
- Protection of Forests, Waste lands and its Bio-diversity from denudation etc.
- Promotion of joint forest management and community, participation, development and forestry extension.
- Conservation and improvement of Ecology and natural habitat.
- Promotion of Eco tourism and recreation.
- Promotion and Development of NTFP.
- Applied research in Forestry.
- Institutional, Human Resource Management and Capacity building and forestry training.
- Implementation of obligations of forestry related Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and Climate Change.
- Regulation of grant of concessional timber.